Wildfire Fire Emergency
- If the fire is approaching or you are afraid you may be trapped, evacuate now
- Here is a good evacuation checklist from the Red Cross. Print it out and have it ready.
- Report the fire when you are safe.
- Do not assume a fire has been reported.
- Report any suspected unauthorized fires by calling 911. (If 911 is not available in your area, your local DNR Forestry office can provide you with the numbers to call; call collect if necessary.) If in doubt, report a fire. An early report helps keep fires small.
- Detailed information is extremely important when reporting a fire. You maybe asked to provide:
- your name and phone number so you can be contacted for further information if necessary
- location of the fire by street address or section, township, and range (preferred) or directions and distances from known roads or landmarks
- information on whether any structures or other improvements are threatened
- the approximate size of the fire
- the type of fuels the fire is burning and the type of fuels it is approaching
- color of smoke—white, black, gray
- the type of terrain and access into the fire
- the time the fire started, as well as who started it, if known
- information on whether anyone is working on the fire
- Here is a good evacuation checklist from the Red Cross Print it out and have it ready.
- If the fire approach is imminent - open gates and fences for your horses/livestock
- If you have time:
- Close all doors and windows
- Close heavy drapes
- Open light drapes
- Remove combustibles from near the house/decks/propane tanks.
- Put a ladder up to the roof (for firefighters).
- Put your hose out.(put out hose so it is available to fill water tanks.)
- Leave power on (so the hose works).
- Turn propane off.
- Leave a note that you have left with contact information.
- Leave the house unlocked.
Arson is a crime. To report suspected arson, call your local DNR forestry office, law enforcement (police/sheriff), or the arson hotline 800-723-2020. Up to $5,000 in rewards. You can remain anonymous.