• Visit Minnesota state forests for some fantastic fall color drives. Routes recommended by local DNR foresters.
• It's autumn in Minnesota! Check the fall colors around the state, upload your own photos, and take your show on the road with the Fall Colors mobile page.
• Admission: Free! Do you know Minnesota is the 16th most forested state in the nation? Do you know nearly 4 million acres in 58 state forests are open to explore for free? That's right? Wherever you are, you can find a state forest nearby that's open to explore at no cost to you. No vehicle permit required.
• State forests are here for you to use and enjoy on your schedule. No reservations are needed for state forest recreational facilities; camping is on a first-come, first-served basis. State forests also serve as a great starting point for visiting various state parks, state trails, and state canoe routes.
• Protect our state forests— don't move firewood! Firewood brought into DNR state lands must be purchased within 50 miles of its origin from an approved DNR firewood vendor with a proof of purchase receipt. More information