Minnesota state park campground hosts
From early spring through the fall, campground host volunteers serve as a "live-in" host at a state park or state forest campground for at least a four-week period. A host's primary responsibility is to assist campers by answering questions and explaining rules that apply to them in a cheerful and helpful manner. Volunteers should be familiar with state park and forest campground rules and the reasoning behind them.
Check back soon for 2015 availability. We should have that information online sometime in January.
How to apply
Applications are accepted all summer long, but must be received at least 30 days prior to the date you wish to begin serving as a host. Download the campground host application.
Details about being a campground host
Download campground host program information packet
- As a Minnesota state park campground host, you will need to become familiar with local points of interest and where local services such as fuel, bait, and groceries can be obtained.
- Campground host on-duty days and hours will be mutually agreed between the campground manager and the host. You will be expected to provide services for four to five days each week, including weekends and holidays; you may be off-duty on the other two to three days.
- Campground hosts perform light maintenance work around the campground, including picking up litter, sweeping, and stocking of supplies in vault toilet buildings. You may also make emergency minor repairs, assist with park naturalists' program activities, and perform other duties as needed.
- Campground hosts will take no law enforcement measure other than being observant and advising users of unintentional infractions. Flagrant violators will be reported to state park personnel or the area forester responsible for the campground. Hosts may be asked to serve as a witness for flagrant violations that have been observed.
- You will set an example by being a model camper, practicing good housekeeping at all times in and around the host site, and by observing all rules.
Still have questions?
We've tried to put all the information you might need here on this page. If you still have questions about the campground host program, please call program coordinator at (651) 259-5607 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.