Legal Big Game Cartridges
- It is at least .220 caliber and has center fire ignition;
- It is loaded only with single projectile ammunition;
- The projectile used has a soft point or is an expanding bullet type;*
- The muzzleloader (long gun or handgun) used cannot be loaded at the breech (muzzleloading revolvers are not legal for taking big game);
- The smooth-bore muzzleloader used is at least .45 caliber and
- The rifled muzzleloader used is at least .40 caliber;
- Muzzleloaders with scopes are legal during the regular firearms deer seasons, but are not allowed during the muzzleloader season except by special permit for hunters with a medically certified visual impairment.
* Note: Hunters are reminded to select bullets that are suitable for taking big game. Most major manufacturers offer either bonded or all-copper bullets that are appropriate for taking big game. Hunters are advised to select a proper bullet design and weight that is suitable for humanely taking big game.