Fishing contests are popular in Minnesota and each year the DNR issues nearly 400 permits for fishing contests.
The DNR regulates fishing contests to protect fish and fish habitat, to restrict activity during high use periods, and for the safety of the participants. Regulating contests helps reduce the potential for conflicts with other water recreationists at public access sites and on the water.
Limiting the number of contests that can take place each month on any water body also serves to more evenly distribute contests across many lakes and rivers.
- 2016 Tournament List
- Permit requirements
- Mille Lacs Lake bass tournaments
- Permit application process
- Other restrictions
- Fishing tournament application
- Designated Infested Waters
- Best management practices for tournaments and aquatic invasive species