Resorts, campgrounds and restaurants
Bears feeding on garbage can quickly lead to problems.
Bears can be attracted to establishments that have food because of odors and garbage.
Problems may arise when:
- People are in close contact with bears.
- Bears damage personal property.
- Bears become dependent on a food source.
- Bears scatter garbage.
To help reduce bear problems:
- Use bear-proof cans and dumpsters
- Move cans and dumpsters away from areas used by people.
- Pick up garbage and fish remains promptly every evening.
- Wash cans and dumpsters frequently.
- Use lime to cut odors.
Teach people to:
- NOT FEED BEARS
- NOT STORE FOOD IN TENTS!
- Store food out of site in a car trunk or cabin.
- Rinse containers before disposal or recycling. These precautions will help reduce bear problems.
When you find a system that works stay with it.