Possible Amendments to Rules Governing Use of State Parks, State Recreation Areas and Waysides, State Trails, and Forest Lands
The DNR is considering amendments to Minnesota Rules, parts 6100.0100 to 6100.4300. These rules govern the recreational use of state parks, recreation areas, waysides, corridor trails, and forest lands.
The purposes of the rulemaking are to:
- Address emerging recreational activities, technologies, and federal requirements.
- Integrate the rules governing state trails into the rules for the other recreation units.
- Provide common definitions and provisions for the recreation units where possible.
- Provide different regulations for state parks, state recreation areas, and waysides, consistent with the purposes described in the Minnesota Outdoor Recreation Act (Chapter 86A). The current rules do not differentiate among these units.
- Respond to changing visitor needs and desires (for example, allowing pets in designated camper cabins, and providing for motorized recreational use).
- Update and correct outdated and obsolete provisions.
The DNR proposes to combine two ongoing rulemaking efforts.
The DNR published a Request for Comments on amendments to parts 6100.3000 to 6100.4300 (the state trail rules) in 2006, and a Request for Comments on amendments to parts 6100.0100 to 6100.2400 (rules for state parks, recreation areas and forest lands) in 2009.
The DNR has not proposed a draft rule in either rulemaking.
The DNR believes a combined rulemaking will be more efficient, and easier for affected members of the public to understand.
The DNR does not have a draft rule available for review at this time. For a list of key areas that may be revised, please see the link below:
- Rule revision process
- Key areas for revision
- Information on current state park and recreation area rules
- Information on current state forest rules
- Current guidelines for using state trails
The DNR is requesting comments and recommendations about possible changes to the existing rules and any issues that the rules should address. Please send your comments or suggestions to the DNR by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to: DNR Parks and Trails Rulemaking, 500 Lafayette Road, Box 39, St. Paul, MN 55155-4039. The deadline for comments is 4:30 PM on July 25, 2014.
- Request for Comments (May 27, 2014)
For more information contact:
DNR Parks and Trails
500 Lafayette Road Box 39
Tel. (651) 259-5584
Fax (651) 297-1157