Title. This slideshow requires the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.
• This state forest features six recreational areas, seven campgrounds, and one day-use area. There really is something for everyone in this state forest.
• The RJD Memorial Hardwood Forest is located in southeastern Minnesota. This state forest includes bluffs of the Great River Road of the Mississippi River and a number state water trails. Cannon River, Mississippi River, Root River, Whitewater River, and Zumbro River state water trails are within the forest's boundaries.
• The best times to visit RJD Memorial Hardwood Forest is in the early spring when the spring ephemerals are in bloom and in the autumn for the fall colors. The DNR lists RJD Memorial Hardwood Forest as among the best places in the state for bird watching, motorized trail riding, horseback riding, and mountain biking.
Due to wet and warm conditions, forest roads and trails are deteriorating rapidly this spring. Many roads and trails are not firm enough to support vehicle traffic without being damaged. The temporary closures could remain in effect until sometime in May, depending on weather conditions. Note: not all roads and trails in a particular forest may be closed. Check the forest roads closures and OHV trail closures web pages before venturing out. Signs may be posted before web pages are updated. Obey all signs.
Boat Ramp Nearby
Canoe / Kayak
21.5 Miles Class I ATV
•Horseback riding trails are open May 1–November 1.
• Mountain bikes, horses, OHMs, and ATVs are restricted to designated, signed trails only.
• The big game hunter/trapper motor vehicle use exception does not apply within this state forest.
•Brightsdale Forest Management Unit
• Frontenac State Park