General Permits to Authorize Transport of Prohibited Invasive Species and Aquatic Plants

Generally, you may not transport aquatic plants or prohibited invasive species in Minnesota without a permit.

You may use one of the following general permits if you own a boat or equipment that requires transport to a location away from the water access for cleaning, repair, or storage, or if you are a shoreland owner transporting aquatic plants to a disposal location.  These permits:

  • are for non-commercial use only (commercial users may need a Lake Service Provider permit);
  • authorize one-way transport of a boat, equipment, or aquatic plants; and
  • are only valid on one day.

If you need to transport construction equipment with prohibited invasive species attached, please use General Permit 2015-005 and read the two-page document, "Best Practices for Prevention of Spread of Aquatic Invasive Species." PDF document

To use any of these permits:

  • download the appropriate permit from the links below;
  • read and understand the permit eligibility and conditions;
  • fill out all information, sign and date the permit; and
  • carry the signed permit during transportation of the boat, equipment or plants.

Download permits here: