Explorers use global positioning system (GPS) devices to search for hidden treasure caches.
How to do it
1. Get the cache coordinates
Geocaches can be found all over Minnesota! To locate a cache you need the GPS coordinates for where a cache is hidden.
You can find more cache coordinates for state parks, state trails and state forests at geocaching.com.
Slideshow of people geocaching in Minnesota state parks. This slideshow requires the latest version of
Adobe Flash Player
2. Locate the cache
Enter the coordinates into your GPS device. The GPS will determine your location in relation to the cache. It also shows you how far away and in what direction the cache is hidden.
3. Log your find
Every cache will contain a logbook or log sheet for you to record your find. You may also discover a trinket left behind by another player. The loot is yours to take, just remember to replace it with something of equal or greater value.
4. Share the fun
Log your find on geocaching.com. Facebook and tweet about your adventure using #geowildflower. Upload photos of your pursuit to the DNR Photo Uploader.
What you will need
- GPS unit (free loaners available at the 35 geocaching checkpoints)
- Cache coordinates
- Boots or sturdy footwear for hiking
- Sunscreen and hat
- Insect repellant
- State park or trail map
- Water bottle
Geocaching rules and ethics
When you are geocaching, always try to tread lightly on the land so you minimize the impact of your activity on the environment. Any caches in Minnesota state parks or on state trails have been placed above the ground, and in relatively well-traveled areas.
- Never remove a cache, or relocate it even a little bit. Leave the cache exactly how you found it so others can have the fun of finding it too!
- Observe all laws and respect property rights.
- If you are geocaching in a Minnesota state park, know and follow the park's rules.
- Be considerate of others and avoid causing disruptions.
Placing a cache
Or maybe you'd like to place a geocache in a Minnesota state forest. Here's what you need to know.