MeCC Mapper Help
This web mapper allows you to create customized maps based on DNR data layers that you select. Choose from public lands, water bodies, roads, aerial photos, and more.
Step 1 - Select the layers for your map
- In the legend, click the box(es) to select the layer(s) you would like to view
Note: Grayed out layers become visible as you zoom in.
Step 2 - Select the layers for your map
- Make the layers draw by clicking on the map refresh button
Step 3 - Select an area
- Click on the Zoom-In icon to select
- Move your curser to the area of the state that you want to view
- Click on the map to view the area
Use the Place input box to quickly display a specific location:
- By name: Enter the name or partial name of a of a point of interest (i.e., lake, city, WMA)
- By type: Select one of the options from the drop-down menu to narrow your search (e.g., name = Turtle / type = lake)
- By public land survey (PLS): Enter the township, range and, optionally, the section you'd like to display - format is TxxxRxxSx (e.g., T137R44 or T137R44S5)
- By coordinate: Enter an x y pair, separated by a space - supported coordinate types are UTM (zone 15, nad83) and lon/lat
After you have entered your information, click on the button. If your search terms match only one item exactly, the map will automatically zoom to that place. Otherwise, a small popup window will show you matches and you can zoom to a place by clicking on a name.
A place search will return up to 1000 matching results.
For more information
- Complete the basic operation steps above
- Click on the information icon
- Click a point of interest on the map to get detailed information
Note: Not all areas of the map link to more information
Reset Landview to the starting point
Zoom in on a specific area of the map
Reposition the mapping area
Zoom out to a larger map area
Refresh the map to include new layer choices
Get information about specific points of interest
Note: not all sections of the map have information
- Click and drag to zoom to a specific area
- Click on the small reference map (lower right) to recenter the map at that point
- Place by name search tips:
- Put a ^ before a search term to ensure that it occurs at the beginning of a name (e.g., "^paul" will find Paul and exclude Saint Paul)
- Put a $ after a search term to ensure that it occurs at the end of a name (e.g., "paul$" will find Saint Paul and exclude Pauline)
- Put a ^ before and a $ after the search term for an exact match (e.g., "^Saint Paul$" will find Saint Paul only)
- To get a list of all matches for a given type set the type without a search term (e.g. city will return a link to all cities on the map)
- Use the download map link (above the legend) to download a high quality version of your map
About the Data
The web mapper is based on DNR core GIS (Geographic Information System) data holdings. For more information including metadata and direct access to much of the raw GIS data please visit our Data Deli.
Visit the "data info" link for information about program or project specific data layers.
This web map was developed by the Minnesota DNR using the University of Minnesota MapServer software. Questions and comments are welcomed.