2015 Minnesota DNR Wildlife Student Internships
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Section of Wildlife utilizes qualified students to assist with projects. Relationships between students and the agency vary with the needs and available budget for each project and the desires of the student. DNR has occasional paid student internships, some seasonal and others lasting as long as 12 months. Summer intern positions are often times filled during winter. Students that are required to complete an internship as part of an undergraduate degree or seeking experience to strengthen their resumes may consider an internship on a volunteer basis.
- All students interested in an internship with the DNR will be required to apply to the appropriate Internship posting with their resume.
- All internships will be posted on the State of Minnesota jobs website (https://statejobs.doer.state.mn.us/JobPosting ). Under Department, highlight "Natural Resources Dept" and for Position Type select "Intern/Student Worker", then click the search button at the bottom of the page. Complete instructions will be outlined in each internship posting.
PURPOSE: Internships provide students with a work experience that fulfills an academic requirement and/or results in academic credit from an accredited educational institution. The intent of an Internship is to provide a learning experience that is directly related to the student's academic program.
ELIGIBILITY: Students must receive academic credit or their academic program must require an internship. Students enrolled in minimal courses or those who enroll in a class for the sole purpose of becoming eligible for an Internship that are not part of an ongoing academic program are not eligible to be employed as Interns.
Interested students may contact each of the DNR Wildlife Research Groups for internships involving research and survey projects and the Regional Wildlife Offices for internships involving wildlife management projects.
Minnesota DNR Wildlife Research Groups
Farmland Wildlife Populations and Research Group; Madelia, MN
Marrett Grund, Group Leader, firstname.lastname@example.org
Internships may be available on a volunteer basis. No paid internships are available during summer 2015.
Forest Wildlife Populations and Research Group; Grand Rapids, MN
Mike Larson, Group Leader, email@example.com
Currently, there are no internships available in the Forest Group. Project leaders in the Forest Group, however, often offer other types of opportunities for temporary work (e.g., contracts, volunteers with expense reimbursement).
Wetlands Wildlife Populations and Research Group; Bemidji, MN
Jeff Lawrence, Group Leader, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Wetland Group has a few summer internships for waterfowl banding paying approximately $12/hour. Applications will be due in February for summer 2015 internships.
Wildlife Health Program, Forest Lake, MN
Michelle Carstensen, Program Supervisor, email@example.com
The Wildlife Health Program may have paid internship opportunities available in 2015. Contact Michelle Carstensen for possible opportunities.
Minnesota DNR Wildlife Shallow Lakes Program
Ann Geisen, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Minnesota DNR – Shallow Lakes Program is planning to hire student interns for the 2015 field season to assist with surveying shallow lakes and assessing waterfowl habitat throughout Minnesota. The complete announcement and application instructions will be posted in early January on the State of Minnesota jobs website (https://statejobs.doer.state.mn.us/JobPosting).
Minnesota DNR Wildlife Management Offices
- Southern Region, Ken Varland, Regional Wildlife Manager, email@example.com
The Southern Region does not currently have any paid internships for 2015. However, we would welcome any unpaid interns.
- Central Region, Cynthia Osmundson, Regional Wildlife Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northwest Region, John Williams, Regional Wildlife Manager, email@example.com
- Northeast Region, Jeff Lightfoot, Regional Wildlife Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
State of Minnesota DNR jobs website and fisheries intern information
For Minnesota DNR employment opportunities
- Go to www.careers.state.mn.us.
- Click "Search for a job" in the center of the opening page.
- Under "Department," highlight "Natural Resources Dept.
- Click on search at the bottom of the page.
Also, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/jobs/index.html
Other wildlife internship opportunities
The following may have opportunities in many areas to gain wildlife experience