Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Park Development Project
Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Park Development, in St. Louis County, Minnesota, has issued the attached Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project.
The MDNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision. The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet during the 30-day review and comment period. Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project according to the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
- Record of Decision, Cover Letter
- Record of Decision
- Record of Decision, Attachment No. 1 - Public Comments
- Record of Decision, Attachment No. 2 - EAW Table 1 (Revised) NRCS Soil Survey List
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources proposes development of Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Parks, consisting of 70 to 75 campsites, including 12 camper cabins, three group camps, four sanitation buildings, and a new public water access in Cable Bay. Future developments may include a visitor center, additional camping areas, recreational trails, nature play areas, and supporting infrastructure for both parks.
A 30-day public review and comment period was open from March 4, 2013 through April 3, 2013. Public notice of the availability of this EAW is in the March 4, 2013 EQB Monitor.
Figures and Tables
- County map showing the general location of the project;
- U.S. Geological Survey 7.5 minute, 1:24,000 scale map indicating project boundaries (photocopy acceptable);
- Figure 3 - Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Parks Statutory Boundaries, USGS Map, 1:24,000
- Site plan showing all significant project and natural features of project
- Figure 4 - Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Parks - NRCS Soil Survey
- Figure 5 - Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Parks - System Level Land Cover (includes wetlands)
- Figure 6 - Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Parks - Existing, Proposed and Future Development with Scoping Areas
- Figure 7 - Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Parks - Concept Designs for Main Campground Area
- Table 1 - Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Parks - USDA, NRCS Soil Survey List
- Table 2 - Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine State Parks - Acreage of USDA Soil Type by Scoping Area
- Attachments A and B - MDNR Natural Heritage Review (November 2012, Project No. 20130081) plus MHS State Historic Preservation Office Correspondence (January 2013)
Written and signed comments on the EAW were to be received by Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological and Water Resources, Box 25
Attn: Ronald Wieland
500 Lafayette Road St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to Environmentalrev.firstname.lastname@example.org. "LV-SUMSP EAW" must be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to (651) 296-1811.
Please call (651) 259-5157 if you have questions about this EAW.